Thursday

Addiction

I want to spend some time talking about the word "addiction," which in my opinion is used too freely. I know I myself have been guilty of using this term in the wrong context. I recently read an article stating that everyone is addicted to something. It seems as though in recent years, addiction has been used to desribe alot of things that are not inherently harmful. For example, some may say that they are addicted to football or they are addicted to a certain type of food. Looking up the definition of an addict it states, "The state of being addicted; devotion; inclination; A habit or practice that damages, jeopardizes or shortens one's life but when ceased causes trauma; A pathological relationship to mood altering experience that has life damaging consequences."
We need to recognize the difference between liking something strongly and being an addict. Being addicted to something is a very serious issue and needs to be addressed seriously whether it's an alcohol, food, drug, sex, addition these topics are often life threatening. I have known a handful of people who I would consider addicts and it's a very difficult situation to go through. It is frustrating at times because no matter how much effort you put forth in helping them, they themselves need to recognize the issue first and want help. I have lost 3 friends to drug overdoses and this is not okay.
If you notice that someone around you is struggling, gently guide them and support them to get better. Do not give up. Do not sit beside them and watch blindly as their life spirals out of control.

“We may think there is willpower involved, but more likely… change is due to want power. Wanting the new addiction more than the old one. Wanting the new me in preference to the person I am now.”-George Sheehan

No comments: